If we have a benzene with a single substituent, such as chlorobenzene, what do we call the carbon atom to which the group is attached? I'm familiar with the ortho- meta- para- nomenclature, but the last one escapes me.


It's ipso-.

  1. Wikipedia page

  2. IUPAC Gold Book definition of the ipso-attack

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.