When writing about acids and bases it would seem very natural for me to abstract the set of both acids and bases and have a single noun for them, instead of cumbersomly listing them both each time. Compare anions and cations, where one can simply say 'ions' if one means both kinds.

Is there a established collective term? If not, what is the elegant way to speak about them?

About the same thing applies to hydronium/hydroxide. Is there a collective term? What about 'water ions'?

  • $\begingroup$ I've wondered the same thing, too, before...only I never thought of asking. $\endgroup$
    – user25546
    Apr 24 '16 at 13:38
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "Electrolytes" spring to mind, but are not exactly what you're looking for. "water ions" sounds good to me. $\endgroup$
    – Karl
    Apr 24 '16 at 18:24
  • $\begingroup$ "Ionizable groups/compounds" could work $\endgroup$
    – jerepierre
    Apr 24 '16 at 20:02
  • $\begingroup$ Wouldn't "ionizable groups/compounds" include salts in addition to acids and bases? $\endgroup$
    – user25546
    Apr 25 '16 at 0:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.