We have this question in the textbook but there is no answer given and I have no idea how to name this compound.

Edit: I tried naming the compound. Correct me if I am wrong here 1-Methylpropenoate


1 Answer 1


Most people would call it vinyl acetate. If you want the systematic name, then it is ethenyl ethanoate.

It is formally derived from "vinyl alcohol" and acetic acid, from which the name follows easily. See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester#IUPAC_nomenclature), for example.

The compound is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_acetate.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.