I have seen 1T and 2H used as prefixes for metallic compounds in literature, but I am having trouble finding what they mean. For example, 1T-HfS2 or 2H-HfS2.


These are notations that are used in identifying polytypes in layered compounds.
2H indicates 2 layers per Hexagonal unit cell (H for hexagonal).
1T indicates 1 layer per Trigonal unit cell (T for trigonal).
At least, that's my understanding.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ This is the correct answer. Quite common in describing SiC crystals. $\endgroup$
    – Jon Custer
    Jun 12 '18 at 13:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.