Let's say I have a trigonal prism in my crystal structure and this is further capped by two ions it's called a bicapped trigonal prism. If I have three ions it's called a tricapped trigonal prism. But what about four? I cannot find anything like quadcapped, fourcapped, fourfold capped trigonal prism. How would you name that?

  • $\begingroup$ By then, it would be too ugly to deserve a human-readable name. Nearly all huge polyhedra are like that. $\endgroup$ – Ivan Neretin Mar 14 '18 at 12:42

After asking more people who already wrote reports with similar structures and a paper I found on the net the most convincing answer I could find was the term 'tetracapped'.

Source: 10.1002/zaac.201400143

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.