What type of gloves should we use on hands while diluting sulfuric and hydrochloric acid?

Can we use these gloves in chemistry lab to handle other acids?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ And why do you think normal ones won't do? $\endgroup$
    – Mithoron
    Jan 6, 2018 at 14:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Mithoron define normal -- for some that would still mean latex $\endgroup$
    – Chris H
    Jan 6, 2018 at 21:36

1 Answer 1


There are numerous sources online comparing polymer materials resistivity in hazardous environments, but most of them agree that in your case ordinary nitrile gloves would protect in case of incidental contact, and butyl rubber/neoprene/PVC gloves are more suitable if a prolonged exposure is expected.

Nitrile gloves are disposable and cheap, and always should be changed when contaminated with chemicals as they only offer basic protection.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.