Our teacher was writing out the following ways of expressing redox and she used a particular term for what these equations are called. When we write out the following what is this called? Its a way to show what atoms lose and gain electrons, but I forgot what these are called:

$$ \begin{align} \ce{Li &-> Li+ + e-}\\ \ce{F + e- &-> F-} \end{align} $$


1 Answer 1


Those are called half-reactions because they show how electrons associate or dissociate, but don’t show the full reaction. I believe that’s the term you’re looking for!

  • $\begingroup$ @user54747 If you are happy with the answer, don't forget to click "Accept" (looks like "v" on the left) button – this is your way of expressing gratitude on SX sites:) $\endgroup$
    – andselisk
    Commented Dec 29, 2017 at 14:15
  • $\begingroup$ @andselisk Dont see it. $\endgroup$
    – user54747
    Commented Dec 30, 2017 at 6:39
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @user54747 Then see the tour, please. $\endgroup$
    – andselisk
    Commented Dec 30, 2017 at 7:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.