Based on cost, availability, and moisture absorption capacity, calcium chloride seems to be too good to be true. Are there any side effects to using calcium chloride as a desiccant?
I'm interested in effects that are directly attributed to the desiccant itself, not so interested in the effects of maintaining an extremely low moisture level in an enclosed environment.
For example, if I were to put a container of it in my vehicle, am I exposing the inside of the vehicle to corrosive fumes? Is there a danger of the calcium-chlorine bond breaking and releasing chlorine gas? I realize that the upholstery may dry up and crack if the moisture level is too low, but that can be managed. Rust build-up in the vehicle frame, not so much.