I wonder what the IUPAC names of fullerene-like molecules, I mean all those hydrocarbons with 3-D structure. Do we have another name of these compounds or are they classified as aromatic?


closed as too broad by Mithoron, Todd Minehardt, airhuff, Jan, Tyberius Dec 13 '17 at 5:28

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


I think I've found relevent sources here:

https://old.iupac.org/publications/pac/1997/pdf/6907x1411.pdf http://www.sbcs.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/fullerene/

However, I still wonder if we have another name for all those hydrocarbons with 3-dimensional structures. Should they be regarded as a subclass of "aromatic" or do we have another name for them?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ This is not really an answer and in my opinion should be edited in your question. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Dec 12 '17 at 8:29
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I am considering converting that to an edit. Right now it poses more questions than it answers. In addition, whilst the links may theoretically answer the question, it would be preferable to include the essential parts of the answer here, and provide the link only for reference. $\endgroup$ – Martin - マーチン Dec 12 '17 at 8:53
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Polycyclic cage? ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do?chebiId=CHEBI%3A33640 - Agreed that this question could do with a cleanup $\endgroup$ – gilleain Dec 12 '17 at 9:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.