Mechanical engineer here so please excuse me if my question seems dumb to you!

I want to have a chamber $(\approx 40 \times 30 \times \pu{30 cm})$ to control concentration $(\pu{ppm})$ of a flammable material (e.g. alcohols or ketones) at a specific temperature $(T\approx \pu{24 \pm 10 ^\circ C})$ and pressure $(P\approx \pu{1 \pm 0.5 bar})$

enter image description here

What should this chamber be called? I need the the name to be able to search for it and also mention in my publication.

Candidate names so far:

  • Incubator --> mostly for biological entities
  • Reactor
  • Environmental chamber --> too expensive
  • Atmospheric controlled chamber
  • Autoclave --> for sterilization(high temperature/pressure)
  • Flash drum
  • Vapor inhalation chambers --> for animal testing

P.S. I have posted the question also on Reddit here and here. There are some good points mentioned there.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Maybe environmental chamber? Welcome to Chemistry.SE by the way:) $\endgroup$ – andselisk Dec 8 '17 at 12:39
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @andselisk thanks for not burning me to the ground :) other SO communities are really hostile to newcomers. Environmental chamber seems very close to what I need. but it seems very expensive. Are there any smaller versions ($\approx 40 \times 30 \times 30 cm$) with not too many requirements? $\endgroup$ – Foad Dec 8 '17 at 12:43
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Good question; I don't really know, I'm sorry. I used a big one only once a decade ago, and yep, those were and are remaining expensive. Probably you can find a good deal on LabX, it's like an eBay for lab equipment. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Dec 8 '17 at 12:46
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ they are indeed expensive! Thanks. I will keep searching. $\endgroup$ – Foad Dec 8 '17 at 12:49
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I would probably also add the dimensions or the volume of the chamber to the question. Also, the information whether the liquid and the vapors are corrosive might come in handy. $\endgroup$ – andselisk Dec 8 '17 at 12:53

There is a book The Design of Controlled-atmosphere Chambers for the Study of Oxygen Toxicity, so I suggest "contolled-atmosphere chamber".

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks @davephd , I'm not able to find the source on the internet. is it a theses or something? do you have the PDF? It seems there are no off the shelve solution for me and I have to make anyway! $\endgroup$ – Foad Dec 8 '17 at 23:05
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Searching controlled atmospheric chamber on google mostly refers to glove boxes made by Plas-Labs. that's not what I'm looking for. $\endgroup$ – Foad Dec 9 '17 at 0:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ from this comment: typically atmospheric tends to be reserved for situations where atmospheric gases are used instead of organic vapors $\endgroup$ – Foad Dec 10 '17 at 0:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.