I am programming a simulation, and I need a good name for a data structure that stores pairs $(c, R)$, where $c$ is the stoichiometric coefficient of a reactant $R$ in some chemical reaction. Is there a name for these pairs $(c, R)$ in chemistry?


1 Answer 1


In chemistry, often quantities get denoted by an index $i$, which then stands for some compound ($i=\text{A, B, C, ...}$).


  • The stoichiometric coefficient $\nu_i$
  • The concentration $c_i$
  • The amount of substance $n_i$

The notion of grouping together the stoichiometric coefficient with the substance it uses is a novel one for me, and will most likely not have a name.

I suggest you use a name such as "coefpair" or the like and document your code accordingly.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.