Disclaimer: Sorry if this is not a pure chemistry question. If it's better suited to another SE, I'm happy to have it migrated there.
I'm in the process of cleaning my father's workshop, and recently discovered an old Duracell mercury battery (picture from Wikipedia): The battery is corroded, and I would say that the color of the corrosion is brown or dark orange.
The battery was lying in a pile of other things on a workbench. Presumably, the battery has been lying there for many years. As things have been moved around on the workbench over the years, one can expect the corrosion to have been scraped off and been mixed with sawdust, smeared on tools etc.
My concern is that I should basically treat the whole workshop as being contaminated, but still I feel it might be a bit over the top.
I would like some information on just how toxic the corrosion is, and some suggestions for what I should do. Could I swab some sample surfaces to have them tested? How expensive would this be?