This question already has an answer here:
I picked up a remote control to a DVD player that I had not used in a couple months. The remote control was stored in a clean plastic bag.
The bottom of the remote control is covered with a liquid. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the liquid is coming out of the Duracell Coppertop (non-rechargeable) batteries in the remote.
The amount of liquid is substantial. It almost completely covers the bottom of the remote control.
Typically, when batteries have problems, you see crystals forming. But not so much in this case. In this case, it is almost all liquid that has been discharged.
I did not initially notice the liquid, and so I picked up the remote, and then set it down on the furniture.
What is this liquid? What chemical process took place that resulted in the liquid being discharged from the batteries?
(And, as a bonus, how to I get the liquid off the furniture?)