I have heard that zebra fish is used for toxicology studies . Is there any other organism that is actively used for toxicological studies?https://www.google.co.in/search?q=zebrafish+toxicity+studies&oq=zebra+fish+tox&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11109j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8


closed as off-topic by paracetamol, Jannis Andreska, Buttonwood, Ben Norris, NotEvans. Jul 2 '17 at 15:51

  • This question does not appear to be about chemistry within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ Not sure if on topic here... feels rather Biology to me. $\endgroup$ – orthocresol Jul 2 '17 at 13:35
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Definitely more of a biology question. Also, en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_toxicology $\endgroup$ – Ben Norris Jul 2 '17 at 13:38
  • $\begingroup$ @orthocresol.I am sorry if it's off topic . But there are many projects going on in the branch of environmental engineering to determine toxicity of effluents(domestic and industrial)with these organisms. So i was curious to know about other organisms that are involved in this study like zebra fish $\endgroup$ – Chitra Lekha Jul 2 '17 at 13:40
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because the selection of appropriate organisms for "toxicology-studies" is by and large, a biologist's problem. Burn this question with fire! On a more serious note, this ought to be migrated to the Bio.SE. $\endgroup$ – paracetamol Jul 2 '17 at 13:43

Well, sometimes daphnia (Daphnia Magna also known as water fleas) are used in toxicology bioassays a an indicator genus. I have personally experimented with Daphnia before, and it is easy to see their internal organs through their transparent body. For example, this study uses Daphnia to test the effect of nanoparticles on Daphnia and this article shows the effects of heavy metals on Daphnia. For more information, visit Wikipedia.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.