Which resonating structures are more stable . How to comment about stability among resonating structures . What are its criterea ? Explain with simple examples with rule?
There is no hard and fast rule for comparing resonance structures, but it is always useful to follow the following steps:
- the structure with more covalent bonds is more stable
- the structure in which all atoms have an octet is more stable
- the structure with less unlike charge separation is more stable
- the structure with charges on carbon atoms are unstable
- structures with positive charge on electronegative atoms are unstable.