3
$\begingroup$

I accidentally mixed bleach in a toilet bowl that had Iron-Out in it. The gas almost overwhelmed me, and left me gasping for breath for a good 15 minutes. What in the heck did I create with those two chemicals?

$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ This is potentially quite serious. Some people can have severe idiosyncratic reactions to sulfur dioxide. Go to ER right now. If you start to have breathing difficulties again, call an ambulance. $\endgroup$ – Securiger May 14 '17 at 10:36
5
$\begingroup$

Good that you left for fresh air.

Assuming it is the same product I know, it calls here for caution:

enter image description here

The below mentioned data safety sheet available (SDS) here mentions for the very product as composition

enter image description here

and recommends as first aid (same source):

enter image description here

Upon the action of bleach, you likely generated sulfur dioxide, gas with pungent smell. Refraining from a remote diagnosis, but if you accident happened in a less ventilated space and you inhaled a lot, consultation of a physician may be adequate as sulfur dioxide ($\ce{SO2}$) is harmful and maybe you equally inhaled vapours of bleach, too. Likely, mixing "iron out" and bleach together yielded a considerable heat, too.

|improve this answer|||||
$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.