The last time I went to my junior college I remember seeing huge blue colored drums labeled ethyl phthalate. So just out of curiosity I decided to check upon this compound. Wikipedia entry containes some information about it's toxicity and usage, but I couldn't understand that part clearly. Could someone help me by listing the possible uses and properties of ethyl phthalate?
German Wiki article contains more use-cases for ethyl phthalate:
- Formulation auxiliaries for plant protection products
- Fixer for fragrances;
- In the process of ethanol denaturing (in cosmetics this product is denoted as Alcohol denat.);
- In manufacturing of cellulose esters as a very well-gelling and light-resistant plasticizer;
- A plasticizer for cellulose-based varnish binders and as enteric coating for medicaments;
- A part of cosmetic products due to its film-forming, softening and hair-conditioning properties;
- Explosives phlegmatizer;
- A carrier in the dyeing process of cellulose acetate or triacetate fibers.