If we replace two oxygen in $\ce{-COOH}$ what is the name of the compound we get?

  • $\begingroup$ Does that functional group even exist? If so, do you have an example of a molecule containing it? $\endgroup$ – Michiel Dec 10 '13 at 17:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes the compound exists, it is formed when grignard reagent reacts with thioxide. $\endgroup$ – user2619 Dec 10 '13 at 17:46

Is a dithioic acid.

For example, a benzene with two -CSSH hubstituents in 1, 2 positions is a benzene-1,2-dicarbodithioic acid.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Here's a neat reference containing all sorts of information about carboxylic acid analogues contaning heavier chalcogens. $\endgroup$ – Nicolau Saker Neto Dec 10 '13 at 22:39
  • $\begingroup$ isn't it just a thioic acid? that thio there means sulfur so why is it a dithioic acid instead of just thioic acid? $\endgroup$ – Caters Aug 1 '14 at 18:42
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Caters, likely because '-thioic acid' would imply replacement of only one of the oxygens with a sulfur, instead of both. $\endgroup$ – hBy2Py Jul 1 '15 at 19:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy