0
$\begingroup$

I've painted regular white mugs and want to varnish them too. But my varnish has the following specs:

Gloss varnish based on alkyd resin.

Flash point: Above 40 degrees celsius.

Is it safe to varnish on some sections of the painting on the outside of a mug? Or will it catch fire if microwaved to boil water or something?

I have no background in chemistry... took me a while searching around before I finally decided to just ask.

$\endgroup$
0
$\begingroup$

The flash point is for the solvent, i.e. for undried paint. Dried paint will have a considerably higher flash point, well over 100 degrees Celsius.

You should also consider toxicity. I don't think alkyd based varnish is approved for use in items you put in you mouth (like mugs).

| improve this answer | |
$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks! I'm only dabbing a little varnish on the outside of the mug, where a few designs have been painted. So that part won't be going inside the mouth. $\endgroup$ – user961627 Dec 15 '16 at 21:25
  • $\begingroup$ Keep the varnish away from the rim and the mug away from the FDA and you should be fine. $\endgroup$ – Klas Lindbäck Dec 16 '16 at 7:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.