I was reading an article that suggested that if one lets water sit for a day in a bottle or pot, then some of the metals in the water, such as lead, will settle to the bottom.
Does anyone know if this theory has been tested?
The reasoning seems somewhat logical, since particles in water tend to sink to the bottom. However, at the molecular level I know that ionic interactions may cause unintuitive behaviors.
I do have a TDS and pH meter. Perhaps I could let water sit for a day, then check the TDS of the water on top. Then compare that with the TDS of water that has been thoroughly mixed. Does anyone see any flaws with this idea?
Excessive toxic metals.
Many city water supplies, especially wells, contain some excessive amounts toxic metals or toxic amounts or forms of other minerals. Common toxic metals include arsenic and lead, which are found in many pesticides and herbicides and find their way into the wells and other water supplies. At times, these are difficult to remove from large amounts of water, so they are just left there even if the water violates environmental standards, especially in poorer nations.
Other minerals that often contaminate drinking water include too much iron, manganese, boron and copper depending on the location. One way to remove some of these easily is to let a pitcher or pot full of tap water sit for a day and some of the metals will settle to the bottom of the pot.
You can then pour off the water, leaving most of the minerals in the bottom of the pot. You may lose some beneficial minerals this way, but it is one way to remove some toxic metals, as well.
-Dr. Lawrence Wilson