unknown glassware

I recently found this piece of lab glass with a jacket and spout. It says eubilicmeter but I cannot find any information about it online and I do not know what it is supposed to do. It is hollow in the middle, sort of bell shaped. What is its name and what is it for?


1 Answer 1


I believe this is an ebulliometer, from the Latin ebullientem (to boil).

It's a used to measure boiling points. Clearly, there are some spelling issues with the sharpie label here.

  • $\begingroup$ Yes seems like that $\endgroup$ Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 16:42
  • $\begingroup$ Actually, this is a fun question to punt over to the Indoeuropean SE. :) $\endgroup$
    – Zhe
    Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 19:55
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ There might be fewer spelling errors that it first appears. I'd say that the sharpie could be "eobiliometer" (allowing for handwriting, especially on a slick surface, and where it looks like some ink might have rubbed off), which only mistakes an "i" for a "ul". $\endgroup$ Commented Oct 24, 2016 at 20:50
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It certainly was supposed to read 'ebulliometer', but the question is if it really is an ebulliometer? It does not look like one, maybe it's just a part of it. It is a vessel with double walls with vacuum in it (see that sealed tube at bottom right?). The central volume is thermally insulated - an ebulliometer must have a part that is heated, I don't see anything like that here. $\endgroup$
    – vapid
    Commented Oct 25, 2016 at 14:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.