I have an old radio with corroded 9V battery contacts, probably from a battery that corroded though I don't know.
I wanted to clean up the contacts with 5% vinegar since that works with pennies, but this is not something I can dunk in a small container since it is attached (with a very short wire) to the radio).
So I want to thicken vinegar to a gel, and not change the pH. I would rather do this slowly, I can leave the solution on the contact for as long as necessary.
A high school chemistry teacher suggested vaseline as a thickener. I just wanted to get a second opinion that vaseline will not somehow cause a problem? Glycerin was also mentioned. Could either react in any way with the metal electrode?
If I use either, presumably the acididy will decrease by dilution with the thickener. Is this linear, or does the thickening of the solution have any other affect on acids? I can try treating the surface for a few hours, or a day, then how could I get it off? My guess is a cotton swap with water and detergent to clean off the gel?
I am not 100% sure what the surface of the contact is, it could be a nickel alloy, it certainly is a formerly shiny silvery metal, now somewhat dulled with green raised bumps on it from some former chemical reaction.
If you think I should just apply vinegar, or anything else for that matter, with a cotton swab I could do that, I just want to be able to apply something and clean up the surface with a minimum of effort.