The liquid we use to dilute is the diluent, what is the substance that is being diluted called? I considered "dilutant" but it seems ambiguous. I can't seem to find a common term in literature either.

A possible analogy is solute and solvent. You'd think there'd be a counterpart for diluent too.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I'd go with stock solution, probably. $\endgroup$ Jul 28 '16 at 4:22
  • $\begingroup$ Maybe diluate? $\endgroup$
    – f''
    Jul 28 '16 at 4:23
  • $\begingroup$ I like diluand $\endgroup$
    – jiggunjer
    Jul 28 '16 at 8:48
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If you think about it, both liquids are being diluted, no? So maybe they are both diluents... $\endgroup$
    – Dan Burden
    Jul 29 '16 at 0:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.