2
$\begingroup$

I am doing an experiment for a miticide for honey bees. I will be dissolving 600g of 99.6% Oxalic Acid in one liter vegetable Glycerin at 150°F. I have been told it will give off formic acid fumes while mixing and heating, I don't think it will untill it get to the melting temp. of Oxalic acid? Is there any safety concern? Also what would the shelf life of the mixture be?

$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ 150 °F is about 65 °C, for those who are wondering. $\endgroup$ – Martin - マーチン May 17 '17 at 7:27
0
$\begingroup$

You might want to raise the temperature a little bit as the reaction proceeds at 100-110°C to form formic acid. If the temperature is further raised to 260-280°C, then the reaction will proceed to form allyl alcohol.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Formic acid has almost unlimited shelf life if unopened and is protected from heat and light sources. Allyl alcohol is stable in normal storing conditions but it may polymerize into a thick syrup if left untouched for several years.

Discussing about safety concerns is pretty much off-topic here but you might want to check the safety data-sheets: formic acid and allyl alcohol.

Here is a research paper for further reading.

Reaction sources: Google Images

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.