Compound to be named

Is the IUPAC name of above compound 7,7-dibromo oct-5-yn-4-ol or 2,2 dibromo oct-3-yn-5-ol ?

I understand that the former name is given keeping in mind -OH as the functional group but by giving the latter name we will have the least sum of locants (ie, following lowest sum rule) .

When should the lowest sum rule be dropped ? Thank You in advance.

  • 13
    $\begingroup$ Daily dose of pedantry from me: Alkynes shouldn't be depicted as being bent like that. $\endgroup$ Apr 26, 2016 at 16:35
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ The smallest sum of locants rule does not exist in the IUPAC recommendations. The application of this ‘rule’ can lead to wrong results in many instances. $\endgroup$
    – user7951
    Apr 26, 2016 at 16:39

1 Answer 1


In this case, the relevant criteria for the numbering are:

  1. lower locants for suffixes (here: ‘ol’)
  2. lower locants for multiple bonds (here: ‘yne’)
  3. lower locants for prefixes (here: ‘bromo’)

The corresponding subsection of Nomenclature of Organic Chemistry – IUPAC Recommendations and Preferred Names 2013 (Blue Book) reads as follows:


When several structural features appear in cyclic and acyclic compounds, low locants are assigned to them in the following decreasing order of seniority:


(c) principal characteristic groups and free valences (suffixes);


(e) saturation/unsaturation:

  (i) low locants are given to hydro/dehydro prefixes (…) and ‘ene’ and ‘yne’ endings;

  (ii) low locants are given first to multiple bonds as a set and then to double bonds (…);

(f) detachable alphabetized prefixes, all considered together in a series of increasing numerical order;


Therefore, the correct name for the compound given in the question is ‘7,7-dibromooct-5-yn-4-ol’ (not ‘2,2-dibromooct-3-yn-5-ol’) since the locant ‘4’ for the suffix ‘ol’ is lower than ‘5’.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.