I'm looking for a reducing sugar such as glucose or maltose (any reducing sugar will do) for some home chemistry experiments. Is there a readily available reducing sugar that I might source without contacting a chemical company? A simple "synthesis" of glucose from sucrose would work as well.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Glucose can be found in drug stores and does not require a recipe in some countries. $\endgroup$ – permeakra May 7 '13 at 2:38

As permeakra mentions, glucose can be purchased pretty easily. It might be labeled as "dextrose".

Another commonly available is maltose (or malt sugar).

Sucrose (or table sugar) is not a reducing sugar, but one of its constituents (glucose) is. Glucose can be made from sucrose by heating with a little bit of acid to make invert sugar syrup. Invert sugar is approximately a 1:1 ratio of glucose to fructose, and only the glucose in this mixture is reducing. An example procedure can be found here:How does adding lemon juice to sugar make better caramel?. Honey is a naturally occurring invert sugar.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.