It may be that the answer is just "no" and that's why I can't find it, but is there any common name for compounds with the same mass?

I'm thinking in the context of mass spectrometry where these compounds require additional steps to resolve.

Isomers are the obvious example, but I was wondering if there was a more general term.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ By any stretch, you can't call $\ce{CO}$ and $\ce{N2}$ isomers, though they have about the same mass. $\endgroup$ Apr 7, 2016 at 11:09
  • $\begingroup$ Isomers are not defined by their same mass but by their same chemical formula. So there is no reason at all to think about CO and N2 being isomers solely based on their "about same mass". $\endgroup$ Apr 7, 2016 at 13:05

1 Answer 1


In mass spectrometry, ions with the same nominal mass (but possibly differing exact masses) are called isobaric.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.