I was going through a paper on organic LED chemistry [1]. I saw that the authors referred to "$1A_g$" and "$1B_u$" excitons (and also "$2A_g$" and "$2B_u$" excitons), terms which I don't really understand because I am from an engineering background. The terms are used on the 2nd-to-last paragraph of page 4 of the paper.

Can anyone help me understand this terminology?

[1] W. Barford, R. J. Bursill, and R. W. Smith, Phys. Rev. B 2002, 66, 115205

  • $\begingroup$ What is the paper? Please consider editing your question to include at least a link to it. Even better would be to both link and then excerpt a paragraph that uses the terms you are confused by. $\endgroup$ – Curt F. Mar 6 '16 at 17:43
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Also, it appears you cross-posted your question to physics.se: physics.stackexchange.com/questions/241852/… Please DO NOT do that. Ask only in one place. $\endgroup$ – Curt F. Mar 6 '16 at 18:09
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You're looking at symbols that describe the symmetry of the excitons. Have a look here for so-called character tables that decipher the symbols. All of this falls under the broader category of group theory. $\endgroup$ – Todd Minehardt Mar 6 '16 at 20:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.