This question already has an answer here:

How can I judge the hybridization of a carbon atom of any carbon containing compound just by looking at its structure? How can I say this by the help of lone pairs and sigma bonds present?


marked as duplicate by Klaus-Dieter Warzecha, ringo, Wildcat, M.A.R., bon Feb 10 '16 at 10:07

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


The answer you are looking for is probably this:

Count the number of $\sigma$ bonds made by that atom, and add to that the number of lone pairs present on that atom. This number is called the steric number.

If the steric number is $2$, hybridisation is $sp$. Similarly, $3 \Rightarrow sp^{2}$, and $4 \Rightarrow sp^{3}$ hybridization.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.