I want to know the name of this equipment with a sealed graduated tube and the purpose it's being used.

I went through all the results of Google, but I was unable to find this exact equipment. I believe someone here should know this very well.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ What's the piece you're holding? $\endgroup$
    – Beerhunter
    Commented Oct 16, 2015 at 22:51
  • $\begingroup$ @Beerhunter What do you mean? I'm also asking what's that :) $\endgroup$ Commented Oct 18, 2015 at 12:54
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The glass piece, just out of shot, being directly held $\endgroup$
    – Beerhunter
    Commented Oct 18, 2015 at 22:46
  • $\begingroup$ Oh, it's the base stand of the equipment. Just a circular glass base which helps you to keep it on a table, you know. Nothing is hidden in the pic. Suppose my hand is the table, it's like now it's kept on the table :) $\endgroup$ Commented Oct 20, 2015 at 3:52

2 Answers 2


This lab equipment is called 'Fermentation Tube'.

enter image description here

If you want to see how an experiment is carried out with this equipment, please watch the video below.

Mark Garcia: Lab Protocol - Fermentation in Yeast (Unit 9 Respiration); YouTube

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ We use these in one of our Nursing Chemistry labs on carbohydrates. They show that not all carbohydrates will ferment. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 30, 2016 at 5:15

The piece is a type of eudiometer also called a gas measuring tube. The graduations are for measuring gas collected and the bulb is used to hold liquid to assist in filling the tube with liquid.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.