This question already has an answer here:

Suppose that one mole of an ideal gas at $P_1$ and $V_1$ adiabatically expands to $P_2$ and $V_2$, reversibly and irreversibly (two separate processes). Since $\Delta U$ is a state function, why is it wrong to say that $\Delta U_{rev} = \Delta U_{irrev}$? (Since in an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, we know that $\Delta U = w$)?


marked as duplicate by Jan, bon, Todd Minehardt, Wildcat, M.A.R. Oct 15 '15 at 19:22

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Related: Reversible and Irreversible adiabatic expansion $\endgroup$ – Loong Oct 15 '15 at 18:09
  • $\begingroup$ I can't answer this question but I still want to nitpick (how typical of me). $U$ is the state function, not $\Delta U$. $\endgroup$ – orthocresol Oct 15 '15 at 18:10
  • $\begingroup$ Both $U$ and $\Delta U$ are state functions. $\endgroup$ – notorious Oct 15 '15 at 18:11
  • $\begingroup$ A state function is a property of a system. $U$ is a property of a system, and $\Delta U$ is, loosely speaking, a "property" of a process that said system undergoes. $\endgroup$ – orthocresol Oct 15 '15 at 18:13
  • $\begingroup$ Please do not use MathJax for question titles due to searching issues. Also welcome to chemistry.stackexchange.com. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Visit the help center to find out more about it. $\endgroup$ – Jan Oct 15 '15 at 18:15

I think the premise of the question itself is false: if you start with a given state (P1, V1) and undergo a reversible, adiabatic (hence isentropic) expansion, you can get to state P2, V2. But if you don't have the requirement of reversibility, I don't think it is possible to gain the same second state - there will be either internal heating/cooling, causing the expected final volume (or pressure, depending on the mechanism of expansion) to not be P2 or V2.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.