Here's an image:


The left side is designed to be fitted into a beaker, and it captures gas evolved during a reaction. The right side can be filled with a liquid to then react with that gas. We use it to capture ammonia from a decomposition reaction, with an indicator in the right half as part of an identification test. I'm sure it must have a name, it's a commercial piece of glassware, but the box we keep it in in the lab doesn't identify it.

  • $\begingroup$ It might be part of a Kjeldahl kit??? $\endgroup$ – user1945827 Oct 15 '15 at 17:09

The picture shows parts of an arsine generator.

arsine generator

The apparatus can be used to determine trace amounts of arsenic by the silver diethyldithiocarbamate photometric method.

A typical method description can be found here (this is also the source of the drawing):




  • $\begingroup$ That's not what I used it for, but if that's what it's called then thank you $\endgroup$ – realityChemist Dec 26 '16 at 8:26
  • $\begingroup$ I thought arsenic was detected by the Marsh test (Marshflugkörper) ;) $\endgroup$ – Jan Dec 26 '16 at 12:48
  • $\begingroup$ @Jan The methods are related; both generate arsine gas. However, the reaction with silver diethyldithiocarbamate certainly has a higher degree of selectivity than the silvery-black deposit of the Marsh test, and it also facilitates the quantitative determination. $\endgroup$ – user7951 Dec 26 '16 at 13:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.