I just move to some place near the ocean and I dig a weld and the water taste is a little bit salty (not as salty as sea water but there are salty taste). Then, I bring the water to the lab and there are 2 points that are really high the TDS $3345\,\mathrm{mg/litre}$, and $\ce{Cl-}$ $998\,\mathrm{mg/litre}$.

I already use a softener to reduce the $\ce{CaCO3}$ and magnesium content, and now my water treatment guy that install the first softener suggest me to add another filter that contain resin and can absorb $\ce{Cl-}$ content, he said to me The resin will absorb the $\ce{Cl-}$ content and make the water taste better. He also said that it will need $\ce{HCl}$ or $\ce{(NH4)2 SO4}$ to regenerate the resin.

My question is:

1. Is that true that we can reduce the saltiness in water if we remove the $\ce{Cl-}$ ?

2. What kind of resin this water treatment guy talking about? Is this resin even exist?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In short: 1. True. 2. That's an ion exchange resin; yes, it exists. $\endgroup$ – Ivan Neretin Oct 6 '15 at 11:38
  • $\begingroup$ In order to remove $\ce{Cl- }$, you need at least an anion exchange resin (or a mixed-bed ion exchanger, which, however, cannot be easily regenerated). Used anion exchange resin (that is loaded with $\ce{Cl- }$) cannot be regenerated with $\ce{HCl}$. $\ce{HCl}$ can be used to regenerate cation exchange resins. $\endgroup$ – Faded Giant Oct 6 '15 at 12:32
  • $\begingroup$ @Loong can you suggest which chemical that need to regenerate anion exchange resin? This conclude that the water guy give me wrong resin. $\endgroup$ – dsc81 Oct 6 '15 at 14:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.