I need to neutralize the off gassing in wall paint that contains one or more of the antimicrobial compounds of isothiazolinone, chloromethylisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone, or octylisothiazolinone.

I applied and used sodium bisulfate rather than sodium bisulfite. Do I need to now rinse it off and find the sodium bisulfite or will the sodium bisulfate work?

Link to study using sodium bisulfite.

  • $\begingroup$ Welcome to Chemistry.SE! Take the tour to learn more about this site. In particular, no one here can (or will) give medical advice. Good luck! $\endgroup$ – Geoff Hutchison Sep 27 '15 at 2:19
  • $\begingroup$ I am not a doctor. In this case, my first suggestion would be to leave the area and hire someone to apply bisulfite and another coat of a different paint. The two compounds will have very different action. $\endgroup$ – Geoff Hutchison Sep 27 '15 at 2:20
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ To closevoters: Am I misinterpreting the question? Since I don't see how this is medical advice. For now I removed the background. $\endgroup$ – It's Over Sep 27 '15 at 12:12
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Yes, bisulfate and bisulfite are two completely different things. $\endgroup$ – permeakra Sep 27 '15 at 12:23
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Related: Sodium Bisulfate vs Sodium Bisulfite $\endgroup$ – Loong Sep 27 '15 at 15:19

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.