The steps of this process are:

  1. Fill a container with water (or other solvent)
  2. Add mixants (is that the right word?) the container
  3. Stir until all mixants are dissolved/suspended
  4. Boil off the water (or other solvent)

The substances do not end up chemically reacting during this process. A real-world application of this is in small-scale manufacture of Rocket Candy, where this is used to mix KNO3 and Sucrose so the mixture can later be ignited and will burn more smoothly. Another example is making a cake - all the ingredients end up dissolved or suspended in the batter to mix them, and then the water is boiled off during baking. (Yes, there are also a lot of other things that happen during cake-making.)

What is the name of this process, if it has one? If not, what is a succinct way to describe it or state that this is what is used?


1 Answer 1


I think the closest term would be recrystalisation though this is normally used to dissolve one component (the desired one) to allow the removal of impurities, so I would be hesitant to use it but it is used here to describe the rocket candy example you used: http://www.jamesyawn.net/rcandy/index.htm

With regards to your second example, baking a cake is actually a series of interesting and complex chemical reactions and structural changes. The New Zealand institute of chemistry wrote a nice summary of the chemistry of baking that can be found here: http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/food/6D.pdf

Hope that helps


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.