What are the general ways to treat an accident involving highly concentrated or similarly dangerous acids?
I have a lab instructor who recently debated with our group about treating an acid spill on the skin. According to him, one should immediately rinse off the acid with running water for about 15-20 minutes. He says that one should never apply bases to the site because an Acid-Base is highly exothermic and would only increase the damage.
However, I clearly remember learning once that one should apply baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to a bee sting or ant bite in order to neutralize the acid and relieve the burning. I also know that the dilution of an acid in water is done by adding the acid slowly to the water containing vessel because of the heat released in the process. And especially when preparing a dilute solution of sulfuric acid, one wears safety goggles and gently stirs the solution to prevent splashing.
So which is it? And does it depend on the severity of the burn or type acid?