The resin is made up from two components:

Component A: silicic acid, sodium salt (less than 10% sodium silicate)

Component B: Diphenylmethane-4,4'-Diisocyanate, isomers and homologs (MDI,Polymer-MDI)

It has been cured in place, however it became stuck to a piece of equipment made out of rubber.
It is stuck several meters down a line so access is very limited.

Is there anything that would be strong enough in small quantities to dissolve or even loosen this adhesive?

Any thoughts on a mixture of water 90%, ammonia 8% and detergent 2%? Would I need a large quantity of this mixture or how effective would it be? Or a mixture of the same except using sodium carbonate instead of ammonia?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Amides may be, theoretically, hydrolyzed by concentrated sodium hydroxide. Silicic acid esters usually are readily destroyed by exscess of fluorides, like ammonium hidrofluoride... though it is not a health-friendly compound. $\endgroup$ – permeakra Jun 16 '15 at 13:33
  • $\begingroup$ It might help to add a highly polar organic solvent like DMSO or HMPT to help wet and swell the polymer so it will react more efficiently with the base. $\endgroup$ – iad22agp Jun 16 '15 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.