I have seen some heating apparatus for a crucible use a retort stand with a large metal ring attached to the boss head to support the clay triangle as shown below.

enter image description here

Instinctively, I would have placed the clay triangle on a tripod, however, I see that this has certain advantages, such as being able to adjust the height of the crucible so that it is in the hottest part of the flame.

My question is: What is the name of this piece of laboratory equipment, I have seen it sometimes referred to as an iron ring, but is there a more formal name?


1 Answer 1


Iron ring is a correct term often used for this piece of equipment, according to the Wikipedia page, also this lab equipment tutorial page and in a very comprehensive pictorial lab equipment guide from Iowa State University.

Additionally, it is also called an iron support ring and a retort ring.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.