The group 15, 16, and 17 are called the pnictogens, chalcogens, and halogens respectively. Is there a name for the groups 13 and 14 as well?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Heh. It seems that the name for group 13 and 14 elements is... drums adding the wait for the effect ...Carbon and Boron groups! This guy(s) seems to use all the other names for the groups, except that they don't use any names for C and B groups. Eh, maybe charcoalgens or something for the Carbon group? $\endgroup$
    – M.A.R.
    Mar 20, 2015 at 13:46

1 Answer 1


It seems that the carbon group is known as either the tetrels or the crystallogens; while the boron group is known as triels or icosagens. These names are very rarely used.

Source: Wikipedia articles on Carbon family (also, crystallogen) and Boron family. Although other (seemingly) respectable sites use them.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.