How can you elegantly describe that a polymorphic substance changes its structure?

  • It polymorphs
  • It morphs
  • It undergoes polymorphic transition
  • It experiences a morphic change

Or what would be even better terms?

  • $\begingroup$ Chemical ELL.SE! Please propose! :D $\endgroup$ – M.A.R. Jan 23 '15 at 19:22

It "transitions from one polymorph to another"

It "transitions to another polymorph"

It "transition to polymorph beta"

It "transforms to another polymorph"

It "transforms to polymorph beta"

I like "transitions" better than "transforms", but I've seen both

  • $\begingroup$ I see "transition" as the more common form $\endgroup$ – Gimelist Jan 23 '15 at 22:19
  • $\begingroup$ Does "polymorph" have a different definition in chemistry than colloquial English? Because here you're using polymorph as a form/shape rather than as an object that changes shape. A thing doesn't change to a polymorph, a polymorph changes shape to a thing. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphism_(materials_science) doesn't seem to disagree with me, though my knowledge of chemistry is minimal so I may be dead wrong here. $\endgroup$ – Mooing Duck Jan 23 '15 at 22:47
  • $\begingroup$ This is what puzzled me in the beginning and is the reason why I ask. Originally, a polymorph is a substance which can have different shapes at the same conditions. But apperently each form of this polymorph is called "polymorph". Ugh... $\endgroup$ – Crystal Lettuce Jan 23 '15 at 23:06
  • $\begingroup$ In chemistry, the different polymorphs have different arrangements of atoms or molecules, but there is no macroscopic change in the shape of an object. $\endgroup$ – DavePhD Jan 24 '15 at 0:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.