When atmospheric $\ce{CO2}$ reacts with water to form $\ce{H2CO3}$, this is called dissolution, isn't it? What term would you use for the opposite reaction when it occurs at atmospheric pressure (e.g. due to temperature change)? For a solid it would be precipitation, but here it is for a gas.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Good question! But it is maybe worth noting that the process of gaseous carbon dioxide dissolving in water and the reversible reaction of carbon dioxide with water to form carbonic acid are two separate processes. $\endgroup$
    – iad22agp
    Jan 15, 2015 at 21:07

1 Answer 1


Effervescence if there are bubbles and

Degasification more generally speaking.

There is also the term outgassing, but that term is broader than just gas coming out of liquid solution.

  • $\begingroup$ thank you for the link. But is effervescence also valid at atmospheric pressure or is it only for high pressure cases (carbonation/effervescence). $\endgroup$
    – radouxju
    Jan 15, 2015 at 21:09
  • $\begingroup$ The word can be used at atmospheric pressure, but usually requires bubbles. If the gas is going to the vapor phase without bubbles I wouldn't use that word. $\endgroup$
    – DavePhD
    Jan 15, 2015 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.