I'm messing around with building a solar distillation apparatus, and one of the parts I think I need looks kind of like the following, except I have no idea what it is called (and thus can't look it up to see if that site even sells them).

So, can anyone tell me what this thing is commonly called?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ We called them kugelrohr bulbs. $\endgroup$
    – ron
    Nov 5, 2014 at 0:25
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ It's part of a Kugelrohr distillation apparatus. It is more sophisticated and more expensive but more efficient for fractional distillation especially for higher boiling point compounds and probably easier to use when you know what you are doing. This is a link with a video @ron you are so fast! I initially thought it looked like a glass column head/reservoir... $\endgroup$
    – K_P
    Nov 5, 2014 at 0:35

1 Answer 1


The "A" on the glassware gives it away as an Aldrich glassware component; and Ron is correct calling it a Kugelrohr bulb. It is actually a single bulb ball tube.

This specific item can be found in the catalogue at Aldrich's website


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.