We know that Joule-Thomson coefficient is defined as $$\mu_{jt}=\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}\right)_H$$

Using the cyclic rule for partial derivatives it can be written as $$\mu_{jt}=-\frac{\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T}{\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P}$$

Which is equivalent to

$$\mu_{jt}=-\frac{\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T}{C_p}$$

My question is can we write simmilarly

$$\mu_{jt}=-\frac{\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial P}\right)_T}{C_v}$$



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.