I'm trying to increase the transport of electricity in the tap water I use in my dry cell electrolyser. Table salt is out, as it rusts the stainless steel electrodes and produces toxic gasses. Lye is caustic to skin and mucous membranes but the next best option as the products of the reaction seem to be harmless. Then I thought of water glass (sodium metasilicate) as a solution. It dissolves in water and acts well enough as an electrolyte but less extreme than lye and perhaps more stable. I got an appreciable increase in the production of hydrogen and oxygen in a simple test setup.
So what happens chemically when we use a solution of water and sodium metasilicate and say run 12 volts through it using stainless steel electrodes? Was I creating toxic silanes? What really happened?