I have read extensively about Prof. Wetterhahn and in the Wikipedia Wetterhahn mercury poisoning article it said her blood mercury (I do not know if the test measures mercury or the compound) was 4000 millionths of a gram per liter. I realize all the mercury was not in her blood but this does not sound like a lot of mercury, about a fiftieth of a gram. And the amount spilled was a few drops -- which however are very heavy and maybe those few drops were a few grams which maybe explains a lot?
Naively, I would think that poisons would tend to be bound up with the cells they damage. But perhap dimethyl mercury does damage and yet keeps circulating? Or is it something like in the brain a very small amount of some vital compound(s) is somehow destroyed or can't be made and therefore dimethyl Hg might not work by directly killing neurons?