Reaction Scheme Hi guys, I am trying to perform bromination of this compound using AIBN as a radical initiator. However, it seems like AIBN is only sold commercially as 0.2 M in toluene.

Is it possible to use AIBN directly as it (0.2 M in toluene) is or should I try to remove the toluene first before performing this reaction? (Not sure if toluene will be brominated instead of thymidine)

Thank you!

  • $\begingroup$ If AIBN solid is not available, can you get the cyclohexyl analogue 1,1′-Azobis(cyclohexanecarbonitrile) (AHCN) which will do the same job? $\endgroup$
    – Waylander
    Jul 16 at 7:24
  • $\begingroup$ It is always good to explain less common acronyms like AIBN aka azobisisobutyronitrile. Even if you assumed readers able to help would know it, it frequently happens the help comes from those who are not familiar with it. $\endgroup$
    – Poutnik
    Jul 16 at 7:30
  • $\begingroup$ AIBN is sold by Sigma-Aldrich as a powder (98%). sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/aldrich/441090 $\endgroup$
    – user55119
    Jul 16 at 14:02
  • $\begingroup$ Is this your other account? chemistry.stackexchange.com/users/125687/… $\endgroup$ Jul 17 at 2:29

1 Answer 1


Before AIBN was developed as a radical initiator, the world used benzoyl peroxide example here. If none of the AIBN family of initiators are available then you can use benzoyl peroxide under similar conditions.

  • $\begingroup$ Hi Waylander, thank you for the reply. May I ask, if I am able to find Azobis(cyclohexanecarbonitrile) will it be better to use this instead of benzoyl peroxide? And also is benzoyl peroxide compatible for use with benzene as the solvent? $\endgroup$
    – John
    Jul 16 at 12:33
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If you can get one of the AIBN family, I would use that. Benzoyl peroxide is compatible with benzene. $\endgroup$
    – Waylander
    Jul 16 at 14:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.