I know this question might seem too simplistic but I've been looking everywhere for a better than bubble but I have not found it. The most similar word would be effervescence but that's slightly different. I am "bubbling oxygen" in water and testing for oxygen dissolved but it's a formal paper and "bubbling" sounds very informal

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I think "bubbling" is already formal enough. Other terms are more specific, i.e. you could use "oxygenation" or "aeration". $\endgroup$
    – andselisk
    Commented Mar 18, 2022 at 10:08
  • $\begingroup$ If OTOH the bubbling purpose is to eliminate or transfer volatile components, "stripping" or "purging" could be used. $\endgroup$
    – Poutnik
    Commented Mar 18, 2022 at 10:15

2 Answers 2


"Sparging" is a common name given to bubbling a gas stream under the surface of a liquid, often with the purpose of saturating the liquid with the gas from the stream and/or displacing almost all other gasses or other volatiles from the liquid (e.g., solvents are often sparged with nitrogen or argon gas to reduce their oxygen content and allow oxidation-sensitive chemistry).


The term is used in scientific papers, so it's probably good enough:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.