I've been reading some papers about using self-assembled monolayers as hydrophobic coatings and came across this molecule: enter image description here

Throughout the entire article its simply referred to as "multibranched fluorinated thiol" and I was wondering if anyone knew what the proper IUPAC name for it might be? Here is the DOI to the journal article in case anyone is interested in it:


  • $\begingroup$ What IUPAC name, PIN? $\endgroup$
    – Mithoron
    Dec 29, 2021 at 1:10

1 Answer 1


You have already correctly identified the principal characteristic group of the compound as thiol. Thus, the parent structure is propane-1-thiol.

Next you can add the neopentyl ether group and get 3-(2,2-dimethylpropoxy)propane-1-thiol.

The fluorinated tert-butyl groups are named 1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoro-2-(trifluoromethyl)propan-2-yl. Including the ether group, these substituents are [1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoro-2-(trifluoromethyl)propan-2-yl]oxy.

Adding three of these substituents gives the complete name 3-[3-{[1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoro-2-(trifluoromethyl)propan-2-yl]oxy}-2,2-bis({[1,1,1,3,3,3-hexafluoro-2-(trifluoromethyl)propan-2-yl]oxy}methyl)propoxy]propane-1-thiol.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ That's a hell of a mouthful as a systematic name. Surely with something this symmetric there must be some neat simple but non-systematic name? It could be seen as a derivative of pentaerythritol, surely? Please. ;-) $\endgroup$
    – matt_black
    Dec 28, 2021 at 11:57
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ My organic tutor would have said something like "Just call it Fred's compound". Change Fred as appropriate. $\endgroup$
    – Ian Bush
    Dec 28, 2021 at 16:08
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you @Loong, that really is quite the mouthful! I can see why they decided to go with multibranched fluorinated thiol instead of giving the full name. $\endgroup$
    – Allod
    Jan 3, 2022 at 13:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.