1
$\begingroup$

So, methanol is supposed to be toxic even in minute quantities because it is oxidised in our body to methanal and then methanoic acid. This can cause blindness and even death.
Interestingly, ants eject the very same methanoic acid inside us when they bite us, and I haven't heard anyone die of that.
Is it because of the minuteness of the quantity in which it is secrete, or is there some other explanation to this?

$\endgroup$
5
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Typical supposed lethal dose of methanol for humans is 20-30 mL. Formic acid is not dramatically more toxic than acetic acid. See LD50 here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid $\endgroup$
    – Poutnik
    Commented Aug 8, 2021 at 15:00
  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Famously, the dose makes the poison. $\endgroup$
    – Ed V
    Commented Aug 8, 2021 at 15:00
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Because we never met "them". $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 9, 2021 at 0:18
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Of course, being staked out atop an anthill might have adverse health effects... $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 9, 2021 at 1:02
  • $\begingroup$ Fire ants: abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2143091&page=1 $\endgroup$ Commented Aug 9, 2021 at 2:06

0

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.