I'm looking for a specific term which can be used to describe two elements in the same group of the Periodic Table. This would be useful since elements in the same group tend to have similar chemical/physical properties.

For example, is there a word that could fill in the blank: "X is a _______ of Y", where X and Y are in the same group? It has to be something that is generalisable to all groups, not just one particular group, so terms like "alkali metals" or "halogens" are too specific.

  • $\begingroup$ The correct (but infrequently used) term is 'congener', en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congener_(chemistry)#Other $\endgroup$ May 28, 2021 at 12:14
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ The term you are looking for is "[congener][1]". Quoting the Wikipedia: > Congeners can refer to other elements in the same group in the periodic table. For example, congeners of the Group 11 element copper are silver and gold, sometimes found together in the same ores (porphyry copper deposit) due to their chemical similarity. or as described in the IUPAC [Gold Book][2]: > One of two or more substances related to each other by origin, structure, or function. [1]: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congener_(chemistry) [2]: goldbook.iupac.org/terms/view/CT06819 $\endgroup$
    – Buck Thorn
    May 28, 2021 at 12:15
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Note that congener doesn't only mean "two elements in the same group". It also refers to minor chemical components in a mixture that give it distinctive characteristics (e.g., en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congener_(beverages) ), and is used in biology to refer to species in the same genus (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congener). $\endgroup$
    – theorist
    May 28, 2021 at 16:08

1 Answer 1


The correct term is congener. Congeners refer to elements in the same group in periodic table.

For example, congeners of the Group 1 elements are Li , Na and K etc.

Therefore , X is a congener of Y is the right statement.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.